Question : CentOS 7.x Virtual Machines on Vmware are not creating properly via HC10 panel. What could be the reason ?
Answer : Such issue occurs if CentOS version 7 OSTemplate is not properly prepared. To configure the CentOS v7 OSTemplate the following steps must be followed :
- Disable CentOS Firewall on OSTemplate
- Enable root User on CentOS OSTemplate
- Install HC Hyper-V components on CentOS OSTemplate
- Install Vmware tools on CentOS OSTemplate
- Install net-tools package
- HC Panel Level Configurations for CentOS OSTemplates
All these steps are explained in detail below in this kb article.
Disable CentOS Firewall on OSTemplate : CentOS 7 Firewall should be disabled on OSTemplate. To disable it, follow the steps given below :
- First, stop the FirewallD service using command: sudo systemctl stop firewalld
- In second step, Disable the FirewallD service to start automatically on system boot using this command: sudo systemctl disable firewalld
Enable root User on CentOS OSTemplate : To enable root user in CentOS , run the following commands in sequence :
- sudo passwd root ( This command will prompt you to enter root user password twice in order to confirm the password is correctly entered )
- sudo passwd -u root ( The second command will unlock the root user )
Install VMWare tools on CentOS OSTemplate : VMWare tools are required to be installed on CentOS OSTemplate which can be confirmed by checking the flag against VMWare Tools as shown in below diagram. If it does not show Yes against VMWare Tools then follow the instructions given in this URL to install these tools on the OSTemplate VM.
Install net-tools package : This package is mandatory to be installed on the CentOS Guest OSTemplate. To install the package you can run the following command :
yum install net-tools
Note: After performing all above tasks, CentOS 7 OSTemplate is now ready to be used for provisioning of Virtual Machines via HC10 panel.
HC Panel Level Configurations for CentOS OSTemplates : In order to configure CentOS Guest OSTemplate, follow the steps given below :
- Open HC panel as Global Admin user.
- Navigate to the menu : Configurations >> Virt. Module Conf. >> OSTemplates. Here click on Add OS Template button.
- Now specify all the details which are related to your CentOS OSTemplate like its Generation, Template Size, root user and password etc. A sample of CentOS OSTemplate is given below just for example to give you an idea about the settings. These settings will differ according to the settings of your custom created OSTemplate for CentOS.
Note: SCSI controller of type “LSI Logic SAS” and “LSI Logic Parallel” are supported for VMWare VM creation using HC panel.