Migrating emails/contacts from Google Mail to any target Mail Server
In order to migrate Gmail Email data and Contacts to any other Mail Server using Mail Data Migrator tool, there are some prerequisites which must be followed which are as under :
- Gmail App Registration
- Configuring Gmail Source Server in Mail Data Migrator
Gmail App Registration : This process consists of the following steps :
- Prior to following the points make it sure that your Google Mail account is configured to allow less secure apps. You may enable less secure app option by navigating to the URL : https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
- Open this URL : https://console.developers.google.com using Gmail credentials.
- Now create New Project by clicking on Create project as shown in screenshot given below :
5. Once the project is created, click on Enable APIs And Services as shown below.
6. Now Search for Contacts API as shown below.
7. Enable Contacts API by clicking on Enable button as shown below.
8. After enabling API, create credentials for API by clicking on Create Credentials
button as shown in screenshot given below.
9. Setup OAuth credentials for your app by specifying the values as shown below under Add Credentials to your project heading : :
10. Choose Contacts API and then click on What Credentials do I need ? as shown in previous step which will redirect you to OAuth consent screen as shown in screenshot given below:
11. On OAuth consent screen, select External and then click on Create button.
12. Give application name, and leave rest of the fields and save.
13. As OAuth screen is setup. Now create credentials for the OAuth 2 App by first clicking on Credentials >> Create Credentials >> OAuth client ID.
14. Now create OAuth 2 client ID as shown below by selecting Application type as Web application and then by clicking on Create button after specifying the application name. Now insert the base URL where your Mail Data Migrator application will be running. And redirect URL where the user will be redirected after OAuth permissions. (Note: This URL http://localhost:1122 is of Mail Data Migrator web application and can be changed if you are running Mail Data Migrator with different IIS Bindings ).
15. Now OAuth Client will setup after clicking Create button in above screenshot and the application will be registered successfully.
16. In this step, edit this newly registered app and copy the values of Client id and Client secret key as shown in below screenshot by editing the application.
Configurations required in Mail Data Migrator Application
The steps given below are required for configuring Gmail Domain emails to migrate to another target server.
1. Now Copy Client ID and Client Secret from previous step and specify these new values in Mail Data Migrator tool. See below screenshot for further clarity :
2. Open Mail Data Migrator web application and then Click on Add Project and create a migration project in Mail Data Migrator tool for Gmail Migration.
- Now provide configurations of Source Google Mail Server and Target Mail Server as shown below. In given below example Google Mail is Source server whereas Microsoft Live.com is the Target Server.
3. Once both Source Google Mail and Target Mail Server connections are verified, add mailbox by clicking on Add >> Add Mailbox link. Provide Google Mail ID of your mailbox, and then click on Save button (Note: Do not provide any password for this mailbox rather keep it blank)
4. Once you click on save button below screen will appear and you will be sent an email on your google mail account to verify your account.
- Email notification is sent on source Mailbox as shown below.
- Now user will sign into Mail Data Migrator panel by following email notification.
- If source mailbox is Gmail then Mail Data Migrator will redirect user to OAuth Consent Screen, asking user for permissions.
- Registered application is not verified by google, it should be sent to google for verification. Therefore, click on Go to (Unsafe) option.
- Allow “Mail Data Migrator” as you are redirected to google consent page for allowing permissions to it.
- Now add target mailbox and click verify.
- Access Token is stored in Mail Data Migrator Database, and it is refreshed automatically with a new auto-generated access token in case the previous token has expired.